+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6

Thread: RP Karma

Tree Frog
    I said this just the other day! I think it should come back. It seems like it could be such an awesome system

Tree Frog

automated system

what about an automated system whereby after a player recieves a few good RPkarmas they recieve a token prize, something that could be worn, then sold for a few coins.

or something that could be worn, then stored in bookshelf. perhaps a small badge with the date it was awarded.

perhaps if they are awarded too many bad rp karmas they get a mud mail telling them some of the reasons they recieved bad rpkarma

I still check RPkarma every morning when I log on, but it's vary rare that there's anything to award points for. Would love to see it being used more often

Fire Bellied Toad
    Quote Originally Posted by Quilandros View Post
    I used to give out what felt like a lot of RP Karma, but stopped because it felt like I was just throwing my comments into the void.
    Exactly how I felt as well.
    Sure, I got a secret. More 'n one. Don't seem likely I tell 'em to you now, do it? Anyone off Titan colony knows better than to talk to strangers. You're talkin' loud enough for the both of us, though, ain't ya? I've met a dozen like you. Skipped off-home early. Minor graft jobs here and there. Spent some time in the lockdown, but less than you claim. And you're, what, a petty thief with delusions standing? Sad little king of a sad little hill.

What is this RPKarma that you speak of?
    If violence is not your last resort, you have failed to resort to enough of it.

Bullfrog
    I really like the rpkarma system, and think Utugra's idea is great.
    Intolerance, help stamp it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Aristotle View Post
    We stopped publishing the scores due to massive complaining and whining from people who didn't make the list but felt their RP was great during the month.

But we have continued doing occasional private rewards to people who lots of RP karma, and using the negative RP karma for "teachable moments."

Though depending on interest and usage of the system, we can revisit other methods of utilizing the results.
    Ah, okay. Glad it's not completely dead! But as several others have said, it feels pointless to make these reports when they appear to go nowhere.

Quote Originally Posted by utugra View Post
    what about an automated system whereby after a player recieves a few good RPkarmas they recieve a token prize, something that could be worn, then sold for a few coins.

or something that could be worn, then stored in bookshelf. perhaps a small badge with the date it was awarded.
    I'd say it shouldn't be something that people can abuse for coin, but maybe something valueless that you wear. Trouble with that is that wearable things are distinctly IC, so it comes back to "what do we call this thing". Not that that's insurmountable (eg "Reserved Property storage"), but it does need to be solved, and it's quite separate from the notion of identifying those who RP well.

Hmm. Small addition to the earlier idea about a ladder: Give people points on it for _awarding_ RP Karma as well as for _receiving_ it - so if Foo awards Bar a positive point, it's worth 5 points for Bar and one point for Foo when it becomes accepted. Something to encourage people to make use of the system more. All you get is your name on a ladder, so it's not abusable; what you get is your name on a ladder, so it's awesome!
    The man who gets angry at the right things and with the right people, and in the right way and at the right time and for the right length of time, is commended. - Aristotle (but not the Aristotle you're thinking of)

The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. - Albert Einstein
    Mainly to keep a lid on the world's cat population. - Anon

I pressed the Ctrl key, but I'm still not in control!

Maybe there's a way to tie RPKarma with the rumor pages in the Times? When submitting a Karma report, it could be assumed that the person submitting the report is an anonymous "source" of sorts for the Times. Subsequently, a short rumor blurb about the reported situation appears that would just hint at the situation, rather than give a full report. ie "Rumor has it a certain tall, red-haired, and black-cloaked man was hanging around the bank on X date. Tsk tsk" or "Hey, Foo. We all know what you're up to over there with Fooette in Kelnore."

Instead of the IC assumption that the person submitting an RPKarma is acting as a source, in case that would influence people to not submit them, perhaps it can just be accepted that the Times "has its ways" of finding such things out.

I think it would be kind of neat to do something significant in terms of RP, get a positive report about it, and have the awesomeness of it hinted at for everyone else to try to discover IC.

As soon as there is a ladder or rewards, people will game it.

Right now, people use it sparingly, and we read the reports. We give out occasional rewards behind the scenes and we talk to problematic people behind the scenes as well.

When people feel strongly about it, they give out RP Karma. We'd love to see people use it more, but it is a system that would probably become totally worthless if we tried to make the results more obvious.
    Capitalization is the difference between "I had to help my Uncle Jack off a horse." and "I had to help my uncle jack off a horse."

There is never a good time for lazy writing!